Democratizing Development Framework
Community Stabilization Examples:
Supporting community organizing and building community leadership and capacity and understanding of issues and solutions in order to take actions and engage.
Expanding the power of low-income communities who are marginalized from the decisions that shape their lives by supporting low-income community-led research and development plans.
Strategies and solutions to gentrification and displacement like rent control, affordable housing links to livable wages.
Community-Led Planning Examples:
Community Engaged Design strategies that centers community leaders and organizations working in partnership with planners, technical advisors, legal approaches that benefit underserved residents.
Information and data tools that build power within communities to advance specific policy demands, and community-based plans.
Community Control & Ownership Examples:
Building low-income, community held capital by:
Leveraging public land to capture permanent value for disenfranchised communities.
- Exploring innovative, cross-sector development financing tools and partnerships and how to influence private capital flows into community priorities.
- Expanding strategies to build and access public sector policies, development and financing programs to support community-based development and enforced by ongoing community advocacy.
- The role of community cooperatives, job pathways, entrepreneurship and social investment to propel local change.
Across the Three Areas:
- Equity-based evaluation Indicators that allow both funders and field to learn, adapt, and know development patterns are shifting to prioritize people vs. profit
Communications strategies for shaping a new narrative for successful democratized development that builds public support, expands civic engagement to hold elected officials accountable to communities., and connects translocal campaigns and reforms to build a national movement of change.
- Cross-sector and cross-issue partnerships that integrates multiple infrastructure plans and developments to maximize investments and efficiencies while ensuring greatest local community benefits. For example, the connections between community policing, #BlackLivesMatter and Community Development strategies.