Eradicating Gender Based Violence Outside of the Carceral System Institute
Please join us for this institute for funders, hosted by Funders for Justice's ‘me too.’ in Philanthropy Strategy Group.
The carceral system will not end sexual and domestic violence and in fact perpetuates it. Organizers, survivors, and communities have long made the call for solutions to end sexual and gender-based violence outside of the carceral system. In our current moment, there is tremendous momentum and major opportunity to defund and abolish police, and invest in community-based solutions that serve survivors. Faced with the challenge of supporting survivors in such a criminalized state, how can we continue to move toward community safety practices with an abolitionist frame?
Join us to learn why we must eradicate sexual and gender-based violence outside of the carceral system, and how we can support community based groups and organizers in working toward these solutions. This institute will take place over three 2-hour sessions.
Registration is open to all funders. Please register by Monday, September 21st.
Session 1: Intersections of Sexual Violence and Criminalization 101
Wednesday, September 23 (10am-12pm PT / 11am-1pm MT / 12-2pm CT / 1-3pm ET)
- Andrea Ritchie, In Our Names Network
- Janetta Johnson, Transgender Gender-variant and Intersex Justice Project (TGIJP)
- Stacy Suh, Survived & Punished
- Paris Hatcher, Black Feminist Futures / M4BL (moderator)
Session 2: Models for Community Safety
Wednesday, September 30 (10am-12pm PT / 11am-1pm MT / 12-2pm CT / 1-3pm ET)
- Ignacio Rivera, HEAL Project
- Lucane LaFortune, Consultant
- Mónica Ramírez, Justice for Migrant Women
- Morning Star Gali, Restoring Justice for Indigenous Peoples
- Nicole Pittman, Just Beginnings Collaborative (moderator)
Session 3: Strategies for Funding
Wednesday, October 7 (10am-12pm PT / 11am-1pm MT / 12-2pm CT / 1-3pm ET)
- Aleyamma Mathew, Collective Future Fund
- Aleah Bacquie Vaughn, FreeHerFund at CJI
- Jennifer Agmi, Libra Foundation
- Tynesha McHarris, Black Harvest (moderator)