Hate is Not Charitable: Three-Part Webinar Series, Part 1
The Real Cost of Dollars Moving
Hosted by Amalgamated Foundation
and Neighborhood Funders Group
In February of this year, Sludge broke the story that Donor Advised Fund platforms, including the philanthropic arm of major financial institutions – Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund, Schwab Charitable Fund, and Vanguard Charitable – have been making grants to more than 30 hate groups through donor-advised funds (DAFs), totaling over $11 million dollars between 2014-2017. A month later, Amalgamated Foundation launched the Hate is Not Charitable Campaign as a call to action for philanthropy: for DAF providers to filter out hate and for donors of conscience to take a stand. Since March, over 80 philanthropic institutions have signed on, with the list continuing to grow. Join this webinar to hear more about where the dollars are going, what the impact is in the field, and how folks are organizing to stop the rise of hate groups and change how philanthropy gives.
Moderator: Jennifer Ching, North Star Fund
Goals for this Three-Part Webinar Series:
- Open a critical conversation in philanthropy about our role in fighting white nationalism
- Foster a collaborative space for funders to talk and collaborate, in partnership with the field
- Foster momentum to move to collective action towards creating real obstacles to moving money to hate groups
Look out for announcements and registration for parts two and three of the Hate Is Not Charitable webinar series:
- Webinar #2: What Can You Do Within Your Institution to Take on Hate? December 4, 2019 @ 10am pacific / 11am mountain / 12pm central / 1pm eastern, 90 minutes.
Taking action in your institution to screen out hate.
- Webinar #3: From Hate to Principled Practice: Taking Collective Action. December 16, 2019 @ 10am pacific / 11am mountain / 12pm central / 1pm eastern, 90 minutes.
Taking collective action in philanthropy to build pressure on DAF institutions and move money.