Director of Human Resources & Organizational Development | Liberty Hill Foundation
When Liberty Hill began in 1976, it was a daring new foundation that turned philanthropy on its head. Today it is a national leader in social justice. Organizing and advocacy powered by Liberty Hill has changed national policies, launched social change movements, transformed neighborhoods, and nurtured hundreds of community leaders who respond to the experience of injustice by fighting for their rights.
Liberty Hill Foundation is seeking an experienced HR Director to provide onsite HR support. This individual will be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of the organization's human resources that will include, employment, compensation, employee relations, legal compliance, benefits, staff development and health and safety programs.
This individual will have proven experience with navigating employee relations and building relationships with an emphasis on trust and credibility. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing organization at an exciting time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide onsite HR support with the ability to answer HR related questions and handle employee relations issues with maturity and knowledge
- Recommend, formulate, and communicate employee relations policies, practices and procedures necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation
- Coach supervisors on performance related issues
- Ensure HR policies and procedures are consistently applied
- Review and revise employee handbook, as needed
- Determine, recommend, and implement policies and procedures for organization
- Implement and communicate career ladder
- Execute entire exit process for outgoing employees; conduct exit interviews; Assimilate themes and report to executive management
- Ensure compliance is current with existing CA laws
- Effectively recruit for new positions from beginning to end, including job postings, resume review, phone and in person interviews, reference checks and background checks.
- Create, socialize, and implement recruiting strategy and process for hiring diverse staff
- Centralize process for recruiting interns, including gathering input from and training supervisors on related laws
- Onboard new employees, which includes working with supervisors to create customized onboarding plans for each new hire, as well as completing new hire paperwork related to payroll, benefits, etc.
- Continue to strengthen onboarding process, in collaboration with senior management
- Work with managers on performance management issues
- In consultation with executives, oversee performance review process, ensuring all performance reviews are completed in a timely manner (mid-year and year-end)
- Partner with executives to make decisions about performance-based salary increases
- Handle all promotion and salary increase processes
- Design lunch and learns throughout the year to provide training on giving feedback and ongoing conversations regarding goals and performance
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
- Evaluates benefits packages and provides recommendations to senior executives
- Oversees all benefits administration including health insurance, workers compensation, and 401K plan; this includes enrollment, and communications with services providers concerning administration of programs.
- Ensure any employee changes regarding benefits, payroll, etc. are handled accurately and swiftly
- Work with consultant to conduct compensation study and make recommendations every 2 years
TRAINING, DEVELOPMENT AND CULTURE
- Partner with executive management and/or consultants to establish overall strategy for staff development & trainings – both for individuals and the entire organization
- Coordinate staff trainings based on assessment of need and input from staff
- Create and implement learning and development program for building the next level of Liberty Hill leaders, in collaboration with consultant with OD expertise
- Coordinate staff succession planning, in collaboration with consultant with OD expertise
- Oversee annual staff activities, such as retreats, staff appreciation events, wellness program
ADMINISTRATION & HRIS
- Ensure all HR files are in compliant with applicable legal requirements; complete annual personnel file audit
- Ensure accuracy of all employee information
- Maximize use of HRIS system as tool for tracking information and advancing HR/OD goals
- Complete special projects, as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and at least 6-8 years of work experience in an HR role; prefer at least 3 years in a leadership role.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization.
- Generalist experience in employee relations, employment law, employee benefits, compensation, administration and operations required.
- A proven ability to interact well with all levels of an organization and to maintain constructive communications.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including proven effectiveness in dispute resolution.
- Excellent computer skills, specifically MS Office products (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve and multi-task.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Full cycle recruitment experience.
- HR certification preferred.
Liberty Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having the rich diversity of our community reflected in our workforce.
Liberty Hill promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don't discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Our policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all of us are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and our decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees.
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted.