Director of Resource Strategy & Development | Movement for Black Lives (M4BL)
The Movement for Black Lives (M4BL) is an ecosystem of organizations and individuals creating a shared vision and strategy to win rights, and resources for Black people. Building on the legacy and strategies of past movements, the Movement for Black Lives has created a broad political home for Black organizers, activists, and their organizations. Our ecosystem is held together by politics of abolition, anti-capitalism and radical Black Queer Feminisms and a value system that fights for the marginalizedamongst us.
The Movement for Black Lives’ budget has grown significantly to meet the needs of the ecosystem and the urgency of this political and cultural moment. M4BL’s donor base now consists of multi-year commitments from diverse funding streams across major individual donors, corporations, private, public and family foundations, trusts, and other assets. In this phase of our growth, M4BL is looking for a strategic leader to help design and manage a long term development/ resource strategy and infrastructure.
The Movement for Black Lives is looking to hire an experienced, organized, and values aligned Director of Resource Strategy & Development to create and implement a strong fundraising plan that meets the resource needs of M4BL and strengthens the longer- term adaptability and sustainability of a healthy thriving ecosystem. The Movement for Black Lives’ Director of Resource Strategy & Development will create and drive dynamic resource strategies that includes the following: 1) designing and managing all fundraising plans for the ecosystem; 2) overseeing donor relationships from cultivation to their participation in the portfolio; 3) manage a capital strategy that advises on the deployment of a diverse set of assets; and 4) work closely with M4BL’s Director of Finance and Operations and the Leadership Team to build out the development and finance systems, including but not limited to carrying out a values aligned budget creation process.
- Leading our prospect management strategy, including maintaining current prospects and identifying new prospects for funding and new strategies for
- securing funds;
- Managing revenue projections with detailed information including the amounts specific funders are projected to give and when;
- Managing relationships with high net worth individuals and foundation officials;
- Overseeing the development of all fundraising materials;
- Overseeing the all processes for proposals and reporting for prospective and existing donors;
- Oversee systems of data entry, gift acknowledgment and volunteer management with respect to fundraising opportunities;
- Designing a donor and prospect maintenance system, ensuring we are tracking progress and are on top of acknowledgements; and
- Ensuring that fundraising activities are conducted in alignment with M4BL’s values and adhere to our fundraising principles.
- Managing appropriate contractor(s) and building the Development/ Resource Strategy team over time.
Asset Management & Deployment:
- Advise the creation and management of a capital management strategy that will identify where M4BL holds and invests its assets;
- Support the convening of development and finance experts to design a “movement economy” that will determine how to move resources throughout the ecosystem in alignment with the movement values.
Qualifications & Skills
- Fluent in 501c3 and 501c4 fundraising from individuals and foundations;
- A pre-existing network of relationships and deep knowledge of the landscape of progressive donors and foundations;
- Previous experience as a Development Director or similar role;
- A track record that demonstrates solid fundraising results and demonstrated success soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Exemplary communication skills (both written and oral) evidenced by a background in preparing comprehensive reports and executive summaries incorporating complex, highly technical information.
- Has a strong performance orientation and skillful strategic thinking. Establishes clear expectations, priorities and continuously measures performance;
- Strong communications skills -- listening, speaking, and written;
- Comfort with numbers, projections, and budgeting protocols;
- Strong in person and remote facilitation skills
This is a remote position
February 26, 2021
$120-150k, exempt, full-time (40 hours per week) fully benefits-eligible position,
joining the M4BL Senior Staff Team