Executive & Operations Assistant | Youth Engagement Fund
Executive & Operations Assistant, Exempt Full-time; NYC Preferred (open to candidates in YEF key states: AZ, FL, GA, NM, TX); $55,000 – $65,000 commensurate with experience.
WHO WE ARE:
Led by young women of color movement organizers, YEF is the only donor collaborative focused on deepening and expanding youth civic engagement led by and for young people of color. To this end, YEF aims to 1) increase funding support to strengthen and expand the ecosystem of youth of color centered organizations advancing civic engagement efforts via state and national youth collaborations, focusing on organizations in the South and Southwest, 2) support state-based issue-based advocacy that fosters conditions for governing power led by and for young people of color, and their communities, and 3) direct 100% of its grants to organizations centering the leadership and civic engagement of young people of color.
YEF centers young people of color 35 years old and under, and their communities, creating intentional pathways to dismantling structural racism and white supremacy, and engaging a new wave of politicized young people of color that expands the electorate and transforms American democracy. YEF’s grantmaking principles lead through a philanthropic leadership model that: 1) demonstrates commitment to racial equity; 2) supports the advancement and power building of youth of color; 3) adds value to building local infrastructure in key geographic areas with the largest and growing numbers of communities of color; and 4) inspires young people to become life-long civic participants by expanding resources to the issues and efforts that are most important to them.
A POWER BUILDING TEAM:
Since 2007, YEF has been investing in building a culture of full civic participation among voting-age young people to ensure that their perspectives, issues, and solutions are part of democratic governance. Bringing together diverse donors both institutional and individual, working across issues, and in varied regions, YEF enables collaborative grantmaking towards the common goals of a more reflective and inclusive democracy. Between 2007 and 2021, YEF will have provided nearly $30 million to youth engagement organizations. By 2024, YEF aims to be granting $10 million annually to its movement partners.
This is a vital position in the organization that serves the effectiveness and capacity of the Executive Director, focused on providing direct organizational management and executive support through operations and communications. The Executive & Operations Assistant works closely with the Executive Director and will primarily manage the day to day operations of the organization while serving as the primary point of contact for internal (staff, board, fiscal sponsor’s project manager) and external stakeholders (donors, grantees, and organizational partners). They will collaborate with the Donor Organizing Officer to track, manage and ensure timely progress on deadlines related to grantmaking.
- Managing the day to day operation of the organization:
- Lead, maintain and contribute to the development of strong, efficient administrative systems, practices and tools to improve the remote work of the YEF team.
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure organization expenditures are coordinated and tracked in compliance with our fiscal sponsor, NEO Philanthropy, guidelines.
- Manage processes to ensure YEF’s good standing with our fiscal sponsor including: reconciling business credit card expenses with receipt submission via Nexonia; submit receipts for reimbursements; work w/ vendors and NEO to ensure timely and adequate payments; draft and follow-up on consultant and vendor contracts; attend required organizational webinars and meetings by NEO Philanthropy including but not limited to HR, Nexonia, Project Portal, project management.
- Manage PRF’s for grantees and YEF consultants.
- Ensure important documents are organized and filed according to YEF’s filing system.
- Assist in logistics for virtual or in-person convenings and meetings including managing virtual and/or in-person production or booking travel and accommodations for participants.
- Responsible for mailing materials/packages to staff and or external parties.
- Update and manage YEF Organizational Calendar to ensure that all key dates are entered, and that staff are aware of upcoming deadlines and events
- Grants Administration:
- Support Donor Organizing Officer in execution of fundraising processes to ensure key deadlines are met throughout the year.
- Design, manage, and implement systems for submission of proposals, grant reports, and other tracking data of YEF grantees and partners.
- Ensure completion of YEF grantmaking cycles. This includes ensuring that all required documentation for payment is obtained from grantees, getting grant award letters signed, confirming grantees received payment, etc.
Executive Director Support
- Lead preparation for virtual or in-person conferences and events.
- Work with the Executive Director to set goals, develop materials, and follow-up plans for all in person conferences, meetings, and events, including but not limited to speaker and attendee bios, background information, talking points, and logistics for the event.
- Support as identified with scheduling meetings, for the Executive Director and ensure all involved have the necessary materials for events.
- Support preparation of YEF Guiding Circle (advisory board) meetings, and present as needed.
- Track and manage all Executive Director follow-ups with key stakeholders and draft emails and other written content to advance these as identified with the Executive Director.
- Manage internal staff deadlines related to YEF’s key result areas and team work plan, including troubleshooting issues with the Executive Director.
- Update and track ED external partner interactions and contacts on YEF’s CRM.
- Support with accurate note taking for key meetings.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Commitment to the Youth Engagement Fund’s vision.
- Experience in social justice movements (youth and civic engagement / electoral preferred).
- Knowledge of race, class, gender lens and experience using it in verbal and written communications.
- Excellent team building and project management skills.
- Record of success building and maintaining thorough tracking systems.
- Preferred experience with GSuite, Submittable, AirTable, Nexonia, and CRM’s.
- High comfort level in interactions with philanthropic leaders, donors, and organizational leaders.
- Positive and energetic outlook, engaging personality.
- A core strength in advanced listening, translation, and problem-solving skills.
- High degree of personal organization and results-orientation that allows success in an outcomes-oriented environment.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently on complex initiatives.
- Strategic thinking capability combined with effective management and attention to details.
- Ability to effectively and concisely communicate issues with the Executive Director and other staff.
- Intermediate experience serving on an executive and/or other senior level leadership team.
- When safe travel resumes, this role requires ability to travel multiple times a year, often cross-country, including some weekends and overnight stays.
$55,000 – $65,000 commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays, and generous vacation and sick time. Opportunities for additional training and advancement are available.
Please send a cover letter (max 2 pages) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.