President and CEO | Brooklyn Community Foundation
- Do you believe in the power of community philanthropy as a catalyst to transform lives?
- Are you committed to building a better future for Brooklyn? Will you operate with an infectious optimism for Brooklyn’s future - for creating a fairer and more just Brooklyn for everyone?
- Are you fired up, and do you lead with a sense of urgency to create pathways for Brooklynites to overcome the pervasive poverty and racial injustice that strip too many of the ability to live with dignity and thrive in the economic mainstream?
- Are you driven to grow with unbound enthusiasm and energy a comprehensive and diversified fund development strategy of identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and securing major assets for the Foundation?
- Do you share the fundamental belief that effective community solutions emerge from within the community? Are you committed to unleashing the power, natural talents, and creative energy of residents to drive community transformation and sustainability?
- Do you feel a charge to connect people, resources, and ideas for impactful change and for something bigger and better? As a builder of community, ideas, movements?
- Do you have the determination, tenacity, finesse, ambition, and entrepreneurial spirit to grow a “place-based” social enterprise and its brand?
If so, we invite you to keep reading and think about an opportunity for you to make a lasting difference for a stronger and more equitable Brooklyn.
ABOUT BROOKLYN COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Founded in 2009, Brooklyn Community Foundation is the first and only public foundation dedicated solely to New York City’s largest borough and its charitable community. The Foundation works in partnership with generous donors and community leaders to invest in organizations driving racial justice and community-led change.
With a commitment to create a fair and just Brooklyn built on dignity and respect, the Foundation strives to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to participate and prosper. Through its grants and support, the Foundation seeks to mobilize people, capital, and expertise by collaborating with local leaders and leveraging expertise. By employing a community-centered approach that starts with listening and relying on resident insights, the Foundation helps equip neighborhoods to adopt unique solutions to address their challenges.
With revenue earned from an increasingly successful annual fundraising program as well as funds from its discretionary endowment, the Foundation manages a robust strategic grantmaking program promoting racial justice. Brooklyn Community Foundation also oversees more than 100 component funds including Donor Advised Funds and Field of Interest Funds designed to improve the quality of life throughout the borough. With assets of approximately $100 million, the Foundation dispersed $12 million in grants in 2020 including $5 million from Donor-Advised Funds and $7 million from the strategic Community Fund and designated COVID response grants. Since its inception, the Foundation has provided over $60 million in grants to more than 300 nonprofits throughout the borough. Poised for growth, Brooklyn Community Foundation has a staff of 14 employees with an annual budget of $8 million, most of which is grantmaking. The Foundation is located in the Central Brooklyn neighborhood of Crown Heights.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Board of Directors, the President & CEO will persuasively convey the mission of the Foundation and engage multiple constituencies in the Foundation’s work. The President will provide the overall leadership, direction, and vision for the Foundation, keeping a finger on the pulse and ensuring superior management of the internal day-to-day operations, grantmaking programs, services, and activities.
The President & CEO will be firmly committed to leading, representing, and strengthening the Foundation’s racial justice initiatives and efforts. The President & CEO will also continue to grow the assets of the Foundation by supporting and bolstering relationships with existing and prospective donors and charitable partners.
The President & CEO will work with staff and the Board to articulate and enact future strategic initiatives for the Foundation while developing innovative programs, tools, and services, and evaluating their effectiveness. It will be imperative that the President & CEO continue to build upon the Foundation’s inclusive culture built on respect and transparency. The President & CEO will play an active role in identifying opportunities to grow philanthropy across every neighborhood of Brooklyn. The President & CEO will be a thought leader in assessing the Foundation’s impact in the neighborhoods of the borough and beyond.
The President & CEO has three direct reports: Chief Operating Officer, Vice President of Programs and Partnerships, and Vice President of Communications and Strategy.