Program Manager | Blue Shield of California Foundation
About Blue Shield of California: For more than 80 years, Blue Shield has been dedicated to transforming health care by making it more accessible, cost-effective, and customer-centric. We are a not-for-profit, independent member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association with 7,500 employees, more than $21 billion in annual revenue and 4.5 million members. The company has contributed more than $500 million to the Blue Shield of California Foundation since 2002 to have a positive impact on California communities. Blue Shield is headquartered in Oakland, California with 21 additional locations including Sacramento, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
Our Benefits: At Blue Shield you can expect a comprehensive benefits program that offers choice and flexibility for our diverse workforce. These programs and resources include: Medical, Dental, and Vision plan benefits, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off (PTO), earned sabbatical time, paid nonprofit volunteer time, flexible work program, free online education, tuition reimbursement, a wellness reimbursement program, 12 weeks paid parental leave, and more.
Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we are striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
The Foundation is an independent licensee of the Blue Shield Association. Blue Shield of California has contributed more than $500 million to Blue Shield of California Foundation since 2002 to have a positive impact on California communities. Our mission is to build lasting and equitable solutions that make California the healthiest state and end domestic violence. The Program Manager will report to the Senior Program Officer of the Aligning Systems to Communities Approach area. In this role you will provide project management support to the Aligning Systems to Communities Approach team, support grantmaking and due diligence, and manage grantee and stakeholder relationships.
In this role, you will:
- Finalize and oversee a defined portfolio of grants and contracts
- Lead the process of developing funding recommendations, including conducting due diligence for all grants and providing technical assistance support to grantees to ensure all policies and legal requirements are met
- Lead in developing funding recommendations and prepare docket write-ups; summarize grant reports and materials for Board presentations
- Be involved in work to select and manage consultants brought in to lead specific projects on behalf of Blue Shield of CA Foundation, including setting deliverables, and managing work timelines to ensure all deliverables are met
- Provide program support for the maintenance of active grants and/or contracts including regular communications and problem solving with grantees and consultants, monitoring performance and impact of grant, reviewing and analyzing reports, problem solving, and providing feedback
- Analyze grant reports to identify trends, lessons learned, insights and progress against goals and outcomes
- Prepares memos and shares appropriately in support of Foundation evaluation and learning activities
- Work collaboratively and participates on cross-disciplinary teams with colleagues at the Foundation
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to work in a matrixed organization
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the priorities, strategies, and selection criteria for the Foundation’s programs
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Requires at least 3 years of prior relevant experience
- Requires program management experience, including some grantmaking experience with nonprofit organizations, community based or philanthropic organizations, or public institutions
- Demonstrated strategic and critical thinking skills and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to be able to interface effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to represent the Foundation in diverse forums and maintain broad organizational relationships
- Ability to assess the leadership, track record, fiscal health, and capacity of a nonprofit organization to lead a proposed program or project
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we're going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals
Office Environment - roles involving part to full time schedule in Office Environment. Based in our physical offices and work from home office/deskwork – Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of work day. Please click here for further physical requirement detail.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any other classification protected by Federal, State and local laws.
COVID-19 update: From the earliest days of the pandemic, Blue Shield of California has been unyielding in our commitment to putting the health and safety of our people, our members and our communities first. As a federal contractor and a health care company, Blue Shield requires all employees to be fully vaccinated prior to start date as a condition of employment and provide proof of vaccination status. Blue Shield will consider requests for medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement prior to your start date.