Reimagining Capitalism Team | Omidyar Network
About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a market-oriented philanthropic investment firm. We support innovative start-ups and partner with organizations around the world in the service of driving individual empowerment.
Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, our efforts today focus on a core set of the most pressing and difficult issues that have emerged in society. Our resources and people are dedicated to reimagining capitalism; promoting the beneficial use of technology; building bridges in a pluralistic world; and fostering individual capabilities. To date, Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations whose work is aligned with our mission.
About Omidyar Labs:
Omidyar Labs is our newly-announced innovation unit with a mandate to work with a broad range of levers – including foresight, influence tools, organizing, for-profit investing, real-world experiments, innovative partnering and convening, and actionable research – toward the goal of having distinctive impact across the themes noted above: capitalism, technology, pluralism and individual empowerment.
Our Reimagining Capitalism work seeks to accelerate progress toward an economy that best promotes healthy societies and true individual empowerment. While we believe that capitalism and markets remain the best option we know to deliver broad benefits to individuals and to society, without the right guardrails we too often see serious inequities and profound negative consequences. Our work aims to build more equitable economies by supporting high quality jobs, greater power and voice for workers, robust safety nets that create opportunity and dignity, and a new social contract suited to 21st century realities. Our initial focus for this theme is on the United States, though the longer-term goal is to take a more global view.
This is an opportunity for an exceptional and entrepreneurial individual to play a formative role in shaping a new innovation unit at the Omidyar Network, with an initial focus on the Reimagining Capitalism theme. You’ll be essential to the success of our efforts, helping to build our work and strategy from the ground up. The position reports to our Director for Reimagining Capitalism and will be based in Washington, D.C.
How you’ll contribute to our success:
- Insights: you’ll develop exceptional ideas, discover and assess opportunities, cut through ambiguity, and use excellent judgment and strategic thinking to help us decide where to put our time and resources toward having impact. You’ll leverage the diversity of your education, life experiences, and networks to bring highly relevant perspectives to our work.
- Learning: you’ll work with the team to build learning processes and experiments linked to our strategy, ensuring we measure and reflect on our progress, fail fast, and constantly course-correct. You’ll facilitate learning by tracking relevant news and conversations, shaping hypotheses to guide our work, and writing compelling memos based on rapid research and strong analytics.
- Relationships: core to our work is building our network with diverse and sometimes high profile external stakeholders. You’ll help us build systems and suggest efforts to make sure we’re building and maintaining the right relationships. You’ll use your skills as an influencer and coalition-builder to craft strong and trust-based relationships.
- Execution: you’ll help us execute on our mission across a range of tasks, including sourcing and managing grants, contracts, and investments through their full lifecycle; building and maintaining relationships; managing up and down to get the job done; organizing convenings; conducting research and analysis (qualitative and quantitative); developing materials to communicate our strategy and progress internally and externally; and constantly problem solving to drive performance and overcome obstacles.
What you’ll bring to the team:
- We are looking for exceptional people, and the role can be calibrated to a range of experience levels: we’re open to exceptional experience of as little as 4 years to more seasoned experience of 8+ years.
- We are especially excited about candidates bringing the following experiences: movement building, community organizing, creative campaigns, digital media expertise, strategic marketing, innovative journalism and storytelling
- Other relevant experiences include: entrepreneurship, policy, advocacy, thinktank, technology, consulting, design, investing, philanthropy
- Relevant education and expertise, ideally including an understanding of economics/political economy, labor market and policy issues (especially in the US, but potentially also globally), and business/investing.
- Passionate about the mission of the team, energized and full of ideas about how to create economies that best serve people and societies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Sense of humor and care about team culture and harmony.
- High sense of personal responsibility and integrity.
- BA/BS, and possibly a relevant graduate degree
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.