Vice President, Philanthropy & Impact | Giving Compass
Are you an innovative leader in the social sector who understands the nuances and challenges of measuring impact? Are you a creative thinker, willing to experiment and take risks to help the field? Are you passionate about getting the most value from individual giving for issues, causes, and the world?
Come join us!
Giving Compass is harnessing the best of technology to the knowledge of philanthropy to help donors deepen their ability to give with impact.
Americans give over $280B each year to support a wide range of causes. But are we getting the full value for society from those contributions? And how do we help the many donors who have capacity to give much more get “unstuck?” Our sector has yet to leverage the full potential of technology to make it easier for donors to access the information, tools, and support to inform their decisions about how and where to give.
That’s where we come in! We are laser-focused on investing in products and content that guide donors to informed, intentional investments toward meaningful change on issues and in communities. You will join a dynamic startup environment where your strategies, leadership, and work will contribute directly to the realization of the Giving Compass vision.
Join us on this quest!
VP, Philanthropy & Impact
We are looking for an experienced social impact curator who is comfortable identifying trends, crafting thought leadership, and representing Giving Compass with partners and others in the philanthropy space. As our ideal new VP, you will be disciplined in your approach to defining impact, but also aware of the historical context that has excluded significant contributions from much of the sector due to bias. You should be knowledgeable of and familiar with other online efforts to help donors and how they approach measuring impact. You are thoughtful and careful about unintended consequences, but also unwilling to let the perfect be the enemy of the better. You are an outstanding project manager who can design processes that engage and leverage key stakeholders to arrive at high quality outcomes.
This position has a unique, important role in being the filter and voice on the team for what is best-in-class content and aligns with the principles of Impact-Driven Philanthropy. You will own and drive numerous initiatives to develop new datasets, products, and tools.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Serve as the first line of approval in our content management system, reviewing articles collected against our standards and pushing content to our editorial team
- Work closely with our editor to vet partners and contributors for original content and write/create (e.g. podcasts, webinars) original content on key and emerging topics in philanthropy
- Develop values-centered and technical criteria for vetting datasets, partners, etc. and oversee team implementation
- Oversee philanthropy team members who are curating and vetting data
- Represent Giving Compass in philanthropy conversations, national gatherings, and convenings
- Contribute to shaping new tools and products for donors
- Train and support other members of the Giving Compass team on philanthropic strategy and evaluation
If you crave a work environment where you can innovate, have a strong sense of accountability, and want to collaborate with other passionate individuals on influencing more giving toward what works on issues and in communities, then Giving Compass is the place for you!
- Passion for and commitment to increasing the impact of individual donors’ giving
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, social justice, our values, and our principles and practices
- Sophisticated and nuanced understanding of approaches to philanthropy (e.g. venture philanthropy vs. social justice philanthropy vs. effective altruism, etc.) and critiques of the sector
- Knowledge and understanding of the historical context and history of philanthropy, online giving
- Experience raising funds in a nonprofit, understanding of the challenges facing leaders in organizations; knowledge of due diligence processes in philanthropy
- Experience working with high-capacity donors, understanding of the challenges donors face; experience writing for individual donors
- Ability to translate concepts into frameworks and practices
- Digital native with an entrepreneurial spirit; comfort with iteration and continuous improvement
- Analytical mindset, ideally some experience in a cross-disciplinary environment and in a digital organization
- High level of energy, bias towards action
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills, able to write for different audiences
- At least 10 years of experience in the social sector, preferably multi-sector experience (public, private, nonprofit, foundation); Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred.
- Effective at making complex concepts more accessible to a lay-person audience
- Comfortable in small, dynamic startup environment
- Strong collaboration skills across disciplines
- Willing to take risks and innovate to continuously improve
- Strategic thinker who thinks at the systems level
- Strong project management and process focus: demonstrated ability to drive projects to conclusion in a timely manner with measurable results
- Outstanding analytical capacity
- Adaptive leader, able to shift direction and approach as context changes
- Bonus if you understand the irony in HBO’s “Silicon Valley” and the power/perils of technology
How to apply:
This search is being conducted with assistance from NPAG. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as quickly as possible. Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position should be sent to: GivingCompass-VP@nonprofitprofessionals.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.