After Ferguson: Conference Call looking at the role of the faith community in mobilizing around racial justice
Social justice non-profit Sojourners has been working on racial reconciliation and economic justice organizing since the early 1970s, and this past fall Sojourners has been working closely with Ferguson leaders, at their request, as well as with national partners, to achieve a bold agenda—to help America, and particularly communities of faith to listen across racial lines and build a multi-racial and bipartisan movement to achieve racial reconciliation and transform our criminal justice system.
Listen to the following conference call with Lisa Sharon Harper, Sojourners’ Senior Director of Mobilizing about how this movement is being mobilized and organized in the aftermath of Ferguson and how communities of faith can and are being engaged in this movement at this critical moment.
The recording of the conference call can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/sojourners/after-ferguson-conference-call-with-sojourners-lisa-sharon-harper.
Taking into consideration the call’s length, we have created a brief audio table of contents to identify portions of interest:
- Introduction to Call Content & Speakers by Frannie Kieschnick, Women’s Donor Network member & Kaitlin Hasseler, Sojourners’ Director of Major Gifts (0:00)
- Overview of Sojourners’ History, Mission & Work (5:46)
- Sojourners’ Senior Director of Mobilizing Lisa Sharon Harper answers the question:“How does Sojourners help its broader constituency understand the positive and effective role of religion in movements for racial justice in America today?”
- Lisa answers “What is Sojourners’ connection to the #BlackLivesMatter movement and how is Sojourners offering support to the young leaders?” (15:47)
- Lisa answers “What do you think are ways that the people on this call get involved?
- What are the kinds of things they can do with Sojourners on this issue?” (29:15)
- Question and Answer with call participants (31:55)
Contact: Kaitlin Hasseler, Sojourners email@example.com