Project Phoenix Readings
Below are several of the reports and readings that supported our learning in Project Phoenix, a year-long cohort collective learning program for funders exploring fronts ranging from local economies and climate justice to worker co-ops under the frame of a “just transition” or “solidarity economy” or “economic resiliency” or “new economy.” Learn more about it here.
- Just Transition Framework — Movement Generation
- This training tool offers a framework for a fair shift to an economy that is ecologically sustainable, equitable and just for all people.
- Financialisation: A Primer — Transnational Institute
- TNI provides a beginner's guide on how financialisation, the increasing role of financial motives in the operation of economies, works and how it can be resisted.
- The Financial System We Need: Aligning the Financial System with Sustainable Development — UNEP
- The United Nations Environment Programme offers a framework of policy changes for shaping a financial system that can more effectively finance the development of an inclusive, green economy.
- Ending Short-Termism: An Investment Agenda for Growth — Roosevelt Institute
- This paper presents several approaches for reforming the financial market and building countervailing power to restore an economy that works for everyone.
- Building America While Building Our Middle Class — In the Public Interest & Partnership for Working Families
- This report shares case studies from public infrastructure projects that have successfully incorporated job quality and equity policies.
- The Competitiveness of Local Living Economies — Michael Shuman
- This chapter from The Post Carbon Reader Series explains how economic localization is more cost effective than increasingly noncompetitive global corporations propped up by policy-makers.
- All-In Cities Policy Toolkit — PolicyLink
- PolicyLink's All-in Cities initiative provides policy information and strategy examples that can help local efforts to promote racial economic inclusion and equitable development in different policy areas.
- Gender Justice Organizing Toolkit — Make It Work & Wellstone Action
- This guide to integrating an intersectional gender analysis in social change strategies for all issues includes case studies, organizational assessments, and more.
- Solidarity Rising in Massachusetts: How Solidarity Economy Movement is Emerging in Lower-Income Communities of Color — Solidarity Economy Initiative
- This report depicts the diverse pathways towards transformation that are arising out of community survival needs and the struggles against the inequalities and exploitation produced by current political and economic systems.
- Strategies for Appalachian Transition — MACED
- The Mountain Association for Community Economic Development has developed a series of strategy briefs on existing opportunities for creating a bright Appalachian future and what can be done to increase their impact.
- Appalachian Transition (video) — Appalachia Funders Network & Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation
- This video explores the emergent work by non-profit organizations and funders to advance a just and sustainable economic transition in the Central Appalachian region.
- Employment After Coal — Labor Network for Sustainability
- This report explores the potential for sustainable job growth in six sectors that could replace coal industry jobs in Eastern Kentucky.
- Building the Blue Economy — PUSH Buffalo & The Partnership for the Public Good
- This report identifies sources of funding and advocacy strategies to advance green infrastructure social enterprises and explore the intersection of sustainability, neighborhood redevelopment, and job creation.
- Achieving Energy Democracy: A Vision for Community-Based Energy Policy in New York State — PUSH Buffalo
- This memo offers a range of ideas for energy policies that promote resiliency, efficiency, and renewables through a community-based framework.
- Linking Innovation with Inclusion: Demography, Equity, and the Future of San Diego — Manuel Pastor, et al.
- This USC PERE report presents an in-depth analysis of equity indicators and recommended strategies to unite regional stakeholders toward a more equitable, inclusive, and sustainable future.